Welcome to the seventh day of Howl-O-Ween! I hope everyone had an amazing week and you're enjoying the weekend! I have another guest author for today so please welcome
Cindy Simon
Cindy is a nationally certified counselor, Reiki Master and community educator. Her first novel, Wanting June (a thriller) was published by Black Rose Writing on March 31rd in 2011. She lives in Maine and she is currently working on her second novel, a medical mystery.
I began journaling and writing rather dark poetry as a teenager in order to relieve angst and vent my woes and worries. In my twenties I wrote stories, one involved a job I had had at a long term mental hospital (material for my second novel)!
I am fascinated by what drives people to make decisions. Why do some seek revenge? Others are able to forgive? Some people use their power to give generously while others seem to have no issue with taking all that they want! How does addiction grab hold of some and other’s can overcome?
I began writing the ideas for my first novel “Wanting June” in my thirties (about 15 years ago). It was a cathartic experience! The story began with Penny and Brian’s romance, beginning with the grocery store scene. However, at that time in my life I was desperate to make sense of my mother’s sudden and tragic death—she died when I was 16 years old. I was still struggling to accept life without a mother.
In my novel, Penny’s mother, June is a haunting presence. Penny has so many questions, beginning with, is she dead or alive? Penny craves the truth about what happened to her mother, June. But there is a price to pay, she learns. First, she must agree to a weird and crazy marriage proposal. Next she is kidnapped and drugged. She escapes and then is kidnapped again!
Kenneth, Penny’s father knows a great deal about what happened to June. So why doesn’t he tell anyone? June’s various lovers want revenge and Penny, along with her father Kenneth, become targets.
I explore addiction ~ to power, substances and within relationships ~ questions born out of my experiences, perhaps seeking answers to my own questions through my character’s dilemmas? When is it safe to trust? Is it better to know the truth ~ or to accept that I may never understand another person’s motivation or choices? Are there valid reasons to keep secrets?
Penny goes on a quest to find her mother, so did I with the writing of this book, only I didn’t really have a plan. I did become a published author! And, I did discover my mother has not disappeared, she is my muse!
Find about more on the author's website, www.cindysimon.net
You may purchase “Wanting June” on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and many local New England bookstores.




0 comments:
Post a Comment