What's the oddest book you’ve ever read? Did you like it? Hate it? Did it make you think?Geez, it's a tough one. I had to think hard for a bit but the two oddest books I've read were Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis and William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury.I read the former back in high school and to be honest, I really enjoyed it. To put it like this, it was odd in a good way. The story was a bit peculiar in the beginning but it all makes sense after a while. Kafka's life always fascinated me and his style is definitely my cup of tea. The latter was a requirement for our American Literature class in the previous term at university but try as I might, I couldn't finish it. As I said in one of my previous posts, I rarely give up on books and even if it's a terrible read, I somehow get through it. This one was an exception. One chapter and about 50 pages in, I simply could not take it any longer. Those of you who are familiar with this title know that the narrative technique Faulkner used is quite strange - he's jumping back and forth in time, the narrators are constantly changing and it requires intense concentration and patience to understand and interpret the story. As opposed to Kafka, for me it was odd, but definitely not in a good way so hats off to everyone who managed to read it and enjoy it at the same time. :-)
Feel free to leave a comment below with the link to your own BTT post!


8 comments:
I had a difficult time trying to think of an odd book that I read lately, but finally thought of one, at least I thought it was a bit odd.
I've heard of The Sound and the Fury but I've never even read it...I don't think I even have the desire to read it!
Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
Here's mine:
http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/booking-through-thursday.html
I haven't read either of those before, but I always hated being made to read books for school/college etc. It sucks the fun right out of reading.
My BTT is here if you'd like a look :)
I've read a Faulkner book and found it odd too!
Heres mine: http://eatupmyfreetime.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/booking-through-thursday-odd/
I agree... Metamorphosis is one of the oddest books I have read.
I think I shared that same experience. I thought I had made a comment because I recall typing your page reminds me of chocolate, now I got to go find some. lol.
I rarely read a book that I can't find at least one redeeming feature.
The last book I really didn't enjoy but made myself finish was The Cloud Atlas, everyone else raved about it!
Post a Comment